Saturday, January 28, 2017

I just went to New Mexico last week to photograph ghost towns near Truth or Consequences and the Chaco Canyon ancient Indian dwellings. Since the weather at Chaco Canyon was very bad (forecast: 20 during the day with snow and high winds and 7 at night), I stayed south and visited Truth or Consequences, ghost towns to the west, White Sands,  and Alamogordo. On the way home, I took some interesting pictures of towns and villages in New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. All toll, I drove slightly more than 2200 miles, took about 500 photos, and spent about $700 on food, gas, and lodging. The building pictured here is the back of a storage facility in Elida, New Mexico located on state highway 70.

All across New Mexico I drove through rain storms, snow showers, and sleet and ice assaults. Being from Nebraska, none of this bothered me much but the shifting weather did give me a chance to stop and take some photos. The storm pictured here was along the Billy the Kid Trail (aka: hwy 70) in central New Mexico. The temperature varied between 29 and 40 depending on the altitude.


This little church is in Cuchillo, on highway 52 just to the northwest of Truth or Consequences. I took pictures of this building and the building (barely visible in the background) as I started by first "ghost town run" on a quiet winter Sunday. I brought two DSLR Canon camera bodies and one Canon point-and-shoot. The cameras are: Canon 6D and Canon Rebel T2i. I brought the following lenses: Canon 50mm; Sigma 24-70mm (my favorite); Sigma 150-500mm; Canon 10-22mm; and a Sigma 70-200mm. Most shots were with the 24-70mm and the 10-22mm wide angle. As you can see, I shot in both color and monochrome. Most pictures were edited with Lightroom6.5.




No comments:

Post a Comment